Friday, March 12, 2010

What positive images of female sexuality can you think of in popular media?

What positive images of female sexuality can you think of in popular media?

I don’t think I can recall one single positive image of female sexuality in popular media. It is true I almost don’t watch TV, I really don’t read color magazines, and I don’t care about gossip, or what is popular.
I think many stories that Oprah runs on her show are positive, but they don’t have much to do with images of female sexuality. It’s more about lifestyles, and popular or intriguing subjects. However, I believe that Oprah as a powerful woman, who has some sex appeal, has a very positive image and she promotes positive images on her show.
The other person that popped into my head was Angelina Jolie. I don’t know much about her, and I don’t follow the gossip associated with her persona, but I must say, that as a sex symbol, which she is always portrayed as, she is doing so much as a humanitarian. I guess being good looking in a natural way does not mean being stupid, and does not prevent her from doing good with her image to benefit others. She can actually be viewed as a sex symbol by most people in the world, although I doubt it she wants to be one or needs to be one, but that status does not prevent her from doing humanitarian work
The person I recalled was Mika Brzezinski. She is a well-known journalist, currently on MSNBC, where she co-hosts “Morning Joe”. She is a daughter of Zbigniew Brzezinki, a foreign policy expert, and National Security Advisor to president Jimmy Carter. She is a very feisty woman, who is well educated, good looking, professional, and can hold her own. A few years ago, when she was hosting her show, and reporting on Iraq war, she was asked by the show producer to run Paris Hilton release from jail story as main news. She refused several times. At one point, being on air she attempted to set the script on fire, later she tore a second copy apart, and at the end ran the final copy over the paper shredder. I have seen a repeat of the show after I heard about it from my husband. I must say, Mika is my hero. I really thought, that she made a great point. She didn’t loose her job over it, but she would not back up from it at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment